Monday, October 19, 2015

October 19, 2 Timothy 1

(7) for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Yesterday evening my wife and I met with some other couples in a new connect group, designed to get people together, strengthen relationships and marriages, and our walk with God.  I mentioned the blog and at some point this scripture came up, dealing with fear.  I find it an interesting coincidence that it's today's reading.  Fear is a base emotion, triggered by many different things.  Sometimes it's a good thing, when faced with certain dangers the natural fight or flight reflexes are bred into us for a reason.   Many times when I'm working the rappel tower I get people that are so afraid that they freeze in the window.  I'll tell them that fear is normal, someone should be afraid of jumping out a window 30 feet high, but there is also trust involved.  We're all connected to harnesses, and the participant has two ropes attached, each rated at over 7000 pounds. Overcoming those fears helps us overcome other obstacles.  But I think the fear that Paul is speaking of is more of what's unknown.  We can become so afraid of what might happen that it stops us from action.  That type fear is not from God. Talk to God about whatever it is that scares you, His ropes will hold much more than 7000 pounds.

Today's workout. Cardio. High knees, windmills, box step or hop, grapvines, climbers, jump rope. 36 intervals.

No comments:

Post a Comment