Saturday, June 18, 2016

June 18, Joel 2:12-17

June 18, Joel 2:12-17


The word for the ages is and I suppose will always be repent. But most people don't know what that actually means. We usually associate repent with a change in behavior and in most cases that's true but the real meaning is to accept that I am wrong and desire to change. Some times I can make the change myself but more often I need God to make the changes. The prophet speaks of impending judgment but if the people will return to God this may be avoided. God has warned people through history to repent or face consequences, Nineveh is a great example of a people that heeded the warning. He says to call a fast, and gather in a solemn assembly, that certainly could help, I had a pastor years ago who was really into fasts, I always looked at them like hunger strikes. But I think it needs to be deeper, not just prayer meetings or fasts but a total change of heart. If the people who profess to be God's would simply be God's with their whole heart, focusing on Him in all aspects of life then we would see change. That's repentance, acknowledging that I need God for more than just a morning devotion or a weekly meeting, I need God in all things all day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment