Monday, August 15, 2016

August 15, I Kings 19:19-21 Elijah calls Elisha

August 15, I Kings 19:19-21

I’d like to paint an image here but find it a bit difficult.  While I remember as a small child actually seeing a neighbor plowing with two mules I doubt many people today know what it looks like.  But let’s try anyway, Elisha is plowing with 12 yoke of oxen, that actually means he has 24 oxen pulling 12 plows.  Obviously he can’t be doing all of the plowing so we have an image of a vast farmstead, most sources indicate that one yoke could plow between one and one and a half acres a day.  So here’s the image, a rolling hillside with farm workers scattered about, there are 12 teams of oxen plowing vast fields. This wold indicate that Elisha and his family are quite wealthy.  Elijah, to find Elisha, would would be walking through these muddy plowed fields, perhaps he asks some workers who Elisha is.  And he takes his mantle and places it on Elisha.  A mantle could have been something like a shawl, poncho, or the traditional hooded garment that covers just below the shoulders.
Elisha has accepted the call but wants to say good bye to his family.  The response, can be confusing. Elijah says; "Go back again, for what have I done to you?"  Many try to compare this to stories in the New Testament, the man who says let me first bury my father or when Jesus says  "No one who puts his hand to the plow and then looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."  In thse cases the purpose is to delay but Elisha just wants to say good bye.   I have a commentary by Adam Clarke who interprets the response as if Elijah is saying, do what you want, it’s not me calling you to be prophet.  And I see in Elisha a man willing to give up worldly wealth to answer God’s call.

Today's workout. back biceps intervals.
Step up, pull up, burpee, biceps curl, jump rope, row, windmill, T.

No comments:

Post a Comment