Tuesday, September 13, 2016

September 13, II Kings 6:1-7

This is a really good story.  Elisha is serving as the president of the local theological semenary in Israel.  What's really neat about thei is that even though the majority of Israel is worshiping idols, there's still a  group of students that want to know God's word. So many in fact that they need to build on to the dormitory.  Now I suppose that if there were five students in a single room and two more came then they'd need more room.  The text doesn't indicate a number but I like to believe more than twenty,I could be wrong though. So I imagine a group of young men, later teens to early twenties, come up to Elisha with tools. They tell him of their plans and he approves but they want more. I picture Elisha as a lecturing professor that captures the students.  Ever have one of them?  I remember my high school biology teacher. The man was so passionate about science that he made it exciting. They wanted Elisha to come along and tell them stories, teach them about God while they worked. And in the midst of all this an ax breaks.  Elisha has no power, he does have a relatioship with God though, and for whatever reason, God chose to make the ax head float. To me the ax head is secondary at best, the prime focus in this story is a group of young men wanting a relationship with God and His prophet.  Pray the Holy Spirit would stir that same hunger in young men today.

Today's workout. High knees, climbers, winmills, body saw, jump rope, step over.

On a slightly different note.  I'm having a bad time of it lately.  My wife has been out of work for nearly 2 years, applying for but not getting any jobs.  Between the two of us we had three major surgeries in the past year which I think I'll be paying off for the rest of my life.  As Paul once wrote, I covet your prayers.  Something needs to change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment