Saturday, June 17, 2017

June 17, Luke 1:26-38 An angel speaks to Mary

It doesn't matter if you're a Christian or not, this section should be familiar to everyone. An angel came and told the virgin Mary that she would have a son. When I read Luke's description I can't help but have a lot of questions. Where was Mary when it happened? Was it in a dream, was she at the well getting water, was she alone in her room, maybe out in a field? I think depending on the location there could be different reactions. And I really wonder at the recorded conversation, is that really all that was said? I just consider the times and situation, there hasn't been a prophet in Israel for nearly 400 years and then Mary gets a private visit. And the only question that Mary asks is purely mechanical, how can this happen when I'm still a virgin? Not who are you really, or where did you come from, or how do you know me? Those are questions that I think would be asked by most people. And to top this off he tells Mary that her 70 year old aunt is now pregnant, right. What would you do if an angel came to speak with you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment