Thursday, June 29, 2017

June 29, Luke 5:27-39 There's more to life than church

Looking first today at the call of Matthew. Tax collectors were typically extortionists, Rome wasn't concerned how they collected the taxes or how much they collected over, as long as Rome received her portion. We don't know how Matthew did his business, maybe he only collected what was required, the text simply doesn't say. We do see conviction in him though to repay or repair wrongs that he'd done. I'd say that's a sign of change. In the last section the religious crowd finds fault with Jesus for hanging out with sinners. There's a problem I see within the church in a lot of ways and places. I personally know several lay people who are at church or involved with church stuff at least four days a week. And the only people they associate with are other church people. How does the gospel spread if you won't hang with pagans? I saw a sticker on a van last week, this may not be exact but it's close. I don't hate God, but I really don't like His fan club. I get that, Billy Joel sang a song and said I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun. I get that too. Jesus sat with sinners, he ate and drank and probably laughed and simply enjoyed life. And in so doing set an example. 

Today's workout, cardio intervals
Step, squat, windmill, jump rope, Russian twist, step over

No comments:

Post a Comment